16 December 2014

Tombstone Tuesday: Shmuel ben Khaim Kaplan, Labun Jewish cemetery

In June of 2013 I had the pleasure of visiting Ukraine and Labun (now Yurovshchina; once called Lubin in Yiddish), my paternal grandparents' community. We were able to visit the old Jewish cemetery, which I discussed in an earlier post. Over the next several Tuesdays I will post photos and translations (as I am able to decipher) of tombstones from that cemetery. Most do not feature surnames.
[first one or two lines unreadable]
Shmuel
son of Khaim [last word unknown] 
Kaplan
May his soul be bound in everlasting life 

Not the clearest photo, I'll admit. And I am actually amazed what one can determine when one closely studies inscriptions. There was no date discernible on this one but the full name is nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on posts are always welcome but will be approved before posting. I actually prefer to just let people comment without going through this rigmarole, but I've recently had to delete some posts that I had not vetted before publication. So, please don't be offended. I love to hear from you!